Roasted Tomato Soup with Fresh Basil is hands down one of the tastiest tomato soups we have ever experienced. Really brings out the flavour of the tomatoes in this wonderful soup. It has a slightly chunky texture that shows it's fresh and homemade feel and works well to scratch the itch for a wholesome soup on a cold winters day,
Tastes great both warm and as a cold soup.
- 3-1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 11 medium), halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (not included)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt (not included)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper(not included)
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place tomatoes, onion and garlic in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast until tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring once. Cool slightly.
- Process tomato mixture and basil leaves in batches in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through. If desired, top with croutons and sliced basil.
1 cup (calculated without croutons): 107 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 411mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fibre), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.