This Veggie-Loaded Mediterranean Quiche is a long time family favourite. It has a herby mix of veggies and TWO kinds of cheese. We do nothing halfway around here.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Chill Time for Crust: 30 minutes Servings: 8 Calories: 397kcal
- Pie Crust – a quiche is not a quiche without a crust, and this homemade recipe will deliver a flaky, buttery pie crust to pair with the luxurious quiche filling.
- The Veggies – in the quiche we have a mix of brown onion, baby marrow, garlic, mushroom and Spinach.
- The Herbs – fresh basil and thyme bring flavour throughout the quiche. The combo is seriously out of this world.
- The Egg Mixture – a simple mix of eggs and half-and-half, which results in an indulgent, creamy filling.
- The Cheese – not one, but two kinds of cheese for best results. Into the filling goes shredded Mozzarella, and on top of the quiche, we have crumbled Gouda. A divine combination.
Mediterranean Quiche takes brunch to the next level; it’s full of delicious flavours, including a mix of baby marrow, mushrooms, basil, thyme, and spinach, Mozzarella and Gouda cheese.
Contents of the box
- Spinach 300g
- Mushrooms 250g
- Baby Marrow 350g
- Brown Onions 1kg
- Garlic knob
- Eggs Pasture Raised x 6
- Mozzarella Cheese 200g
- Gouda Cheese 200g
- Thyme 30g
- Basil 30g
Make it Gluten Free by adding Almond flour for the crust.
- All-purpose flour
- Cold water
- 160 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt 7 grams
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup cold ice water
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown onion diced
- 1 cup baby marrow diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup Diced Brown or White Mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup Gouda cheese crumbled
SAVORY PIE CRUST:
- Sift together flour and salt. Cut in cold butter using a pastry blender or hands until small pea-sized crumbles form. Slowly pour in ice water until the dough just comes together. Do not overwork the dough. Transfer the dough to a surface or clean countertop and form it into a round disk shape. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
- Once the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 190°. Place the dough disk on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough out to an 11-inch circle. Fold the rolled dough in half, then again in quarters to easily transfer to the pie pan. Place dough in a 9-inch pie pan, trim the edges, and crimp if desired.
- Line the crust with parchment paper and add dried beans, rice, or pie weights. Blind bake the crust for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden brown. Remove and set on a wire rack to cool while you prepare the quiche filling
- In a large skillet, melt butter the butter over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and baby marrow , sauté for 4-6 minutes until tender, adding a generous pinch of salt. Add the garlic and cook for one minute until fragrant, then add the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Stir in the chopped basil, thyme, and a pinch of freshly ground brown pepper. Remove skillet from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Prepare the egg mixture by whisking together the eggs, half-and-half, shredded gruyere cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Spread the slightly cooled vegetable mix into the par-baked pie crust in an even layer. Pour egg mixture into crust and sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese on top.
- Bake the quiche for 28-34 minutes until the edges are golden brown and quiche is just set. The internal temperature should reach 90°C. Let the quiche cool and set for at least 30 minutes for the best results. Otherwise, you might end up with a bit of a runny quiche.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 152mg | Sodium: 593mg | Potassium: 536mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1134IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 224mg | Iron: 3mg
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH QUICHE?
A nice green salad with a bright vinaigrette. You can also top the quiche with microgreens and a basil leaf for an added colour and to get some greens in that way.