Wholesome Lentil Bolognese with Walnuts - (Dairy Free, Vegan, Vegetarian)
Forget ordering takeaway and make your own Wholesome Lentil Bolognese at home. Learn a simple recipe for a delicious Wholesome Lentil Bolognese with Walnuts.
All you need to do is click below to add this amazing meal to your cart and we will do the rest. Receive all the ingredients to your door and follow the simple instructions below to cook it in your very own kitchen.
A vegan version of a classic – with the same beloved sticky texture and rich, tomato flavour. A hearty base of lentils, delicate angel Italian spaghettini, and a kick of Vegan Mozzarella are going to get your taste buds smooth sailing! A vegan spin on the classic Bolognese pasta sauce recipe, made using lentils and walnuts. This healthy pasta recipe is easy to make, delicious and filling!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Servings: 6 servings
Included in the Box
- Walnuts Raw 100g
- Brown Onions 1kg
- Carrots 1 kg
- Celery min 300G
- Garlic whole clove
- Fresh Basil 30G
- English Tomatoes 1 kg
- True food Brown Lentils 400g
- Sundried Tomatoes 100g
- Spaghettini 500G
- Vegan Mozzarella cheese
- Tomato Paste 100ml
- Red pepper 50g
1/2 cup raw walnuts, toasted and finely crushed (see instructions)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium brown or yellow onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 large can diced tomatoes (28 ounces / 794 grams)
1 cup lentils cooked, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup water or clear vegetable broth
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon balsamic glaze
Salt and pepper to taste
12 ounces / 340 grams of Spaghetti (or pasta of choice)
To serve (optional)
Vegan Mozzarella cheese
- Toast walnuts in a large pot over low heat, stirring regularly until walnuts become fragrant and slightly little darker (around 5 minutes).
- Transfer toasted walnuts to a small bowl and allow them to cool. Once cooled, crush toasted walnuts and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large pot, heat to medium, and add finely diced onion, carrot and celery. Once onion turns golden brown, add minced garlic, dried basil, and crushed red pepper. Stir well and cook vegetables further for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour tomatoes, lentils, water, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic glaze, crushed walnuts and a pinch of salt into the pot, stir well to combine with onion mixture. Lower heat and allow mixture to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stir occasionally.
- While the lentil Bolognese mixture is simmering, start preparing the pasta. Fill a large pot with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Back to the lentil bolognese; before serving, taste adjust seasoning to suit your taste. Then scoop the lentil Bolognese into pot of cooked pasta. Stir to combine sauce and pasta. Divide between 6 bowls and sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
*To crush walnuts, wrap them in a clean kitchen towel and then give them a good bashing with a rolling pin!